The Foundational Arabic Skills is an online community course. It is designed to lay the groundwork for Arabic language proficiency and vocabulary acquisition.
This 12-week course will teach you Arabic through various common themes related to daily life. The vocabulary acquired and language structure learnt in this course is foundational to all further Arabic studies that you choose to pursue whether that be Islamic sciences, classical texts or modern usage of Arabic.
Students will acquire foundational Arabic language skills comprising of listening, reading, writing, and speaking that will help them to continue in their journey of Arabic learning.
The teaching methods utilised in the course will compromise of modern teaching techniques that have been proven to work with many students.
The course focuses on ensuring the students acquire key vocabulary used in the Arabic language to give them confidence and motivation in how the language works.
Students will have access to an online platform where they will have access to all learning material as well as engage, interact and learn from other each other.
When you enrol into the course, you can join the first two classes without committing to the full course.
If you decide to commit to the course after two weeks, you will then be required to pay the course fees.
If you are not able to pay the course fees in full, you can pay it in instalments.
Meet the Instructor
Suhail Noor has extensive teaching experience of Arabic for over 10 years. He was born and has lived in some of the Arab countries for 19 years. He then travelled to Australia where he undertook his undergraduate studies in the field of International Business. Since then, Suhail has travelled to Egypt and Jordan to undertake intensive Arabic studies and has continued his advanced studies in the Arabic language online with teachers from Egypt.
Suhail has been involved in designing the Arabic curriculum for the Arabic programs at Charles Sturt University and ISRA Academy. Currently, Suhail is busy with teaching Arabic as well as undertaking a Master in Applied Linguistics.
- The course will be run for 12 weeks with a 2-week break during the last two weeks of Ramadan. After signing up for the course, you will receive a detailed timetable with dates and times.
- There is a prescribed textbook that the student is required to purchase. The textbook is compulsory. More details on the textbook and how to purchase it will be sent to you upon registration.
- There will be weekly classes of two hours through ZOOM. However, this is only one part of the learning process. Students will be given practise work that they are expected to complete during the week. They will also have access to an online platform where they can interact with the instructor as well as other students. This ensures that students have a wholistic learning experience and making Arabic part of everyday life.
- During the weekly live classes, students will be put into separate rooms to complete activities together and have an opportunity to interact with each other.
- Students are expected to attend 80% of the weekly classes to ensure proper learning and maximum benefit from the course.
- The medium of instruction is mainly English however the instructor will use Arabic words and phrases during the class to practise natural speaking and listening.
- You need to have the right dedication and discipline to apply for this course. Consistency is important to be able to learn a language. You should be able to dedicate approximately four hours outside class at minimum to benefit from the course.
- You should have a basic ability to be able to read and write Arabic without understanding (for example, being able to read the Qur’an or an Arabic text with vowels).
- You should be able to commit to 12 weeks.
- You need to purchase the prescribed textbook and activity book. The information will be sent upon registration.
- You need to have a working laptop, internet, microphone and camera.